‘Teachers are the guardians of beautifully used language. Through reading, performing, writing and speaking with clarity and power, through introducing children to literature, we are passing on the truth and power of words.’ – Pie Corbett
At Broom Barns Primary School, we are passionate about making every pupil a fluent reader and writer. We understand that if children are equipped with the necessary skills to help them write effectively for a range of purposes and audiences, it will unlock limitless opportunities for them. We enable every child to develop his or her knowledge, understanding, ability, confidence and independence, in the application and use of both spoken and written language.
Phonics is the basis for reading and writing skills. Phonics develops the skills needed to hear sounds in words (phonemes) and match them to the corresponding visual representation (Graphemes). Reading and writing are like a code: phonics is teaching the child to crack the code.
Useful Links Phonics
- Top Marks – A searchable site of thousands of quality teaching resources, interactive resources, homework, exam and revision help
- ‘How to Pronounce the Sounds’ Grapheme (Letter) Cards with handwriting rhymes – attached.
Useful Links EYFS
- EYFS – Communication and Language
Language development lays the foundation for the reading and writing skills in children as they enter and progress through school. The development of children’s spoken language underpins all seven areas of learning and development.
- ICan – Our vision is a world where all children have the communication skills they need to fulfil their potential.
- BBC Bitesize Language, communication and listening are important skills needed for children starting school. Primary school teacher Annah Shoukat has some top tips for helping to develop your child’s language and listening skills.
- Studies have shown that in the early years, a child’s rhyme awareness is predictive of the ease with which they will learn to read.
Useful Links KS1
- Help Your Child With Comprehension – Please see the documents on this page.
- Reading Books Explained – Please see the documents on this page.
Useful Links KS2
- English Games and Spelling Shed
- Book Trust – From running the Children’s Laureate to giving out books to families and schools, running exciting reading campaigns or celebrating the very best children’s books with our prizes, everything we do aims to inspire children – from babies to teenagers – to get started on their reading journeys.