How the Decision is Made
When a decision is made to close the school in severe weather, it is to ensure the safety of all pupils, parents and staff.
Decisions will be made locally based on common sense and there are a large range of things that schools will consider – including but not limited to: staffing levels (if transport issues prevent staff from getting to work, for example), obstructions, snow, ice, flooding etc, safety conditions on roads and paths around the school, the school site, temperatures in school buildings, breakdown of school essential services (heating, water, electrical service) and more.
How We Will Inform You
When a decision is made to close the school in severe weather (extreme heat or cold), it is to ensure the safety of all pupils, parents and staff. The decision is usually made in the morning and depends on local factors. You will be informed that the school is closed by an email and/or App message as soon as possible via Arbor.
Please be aware the internet and mobile services get very busy at these times and you may need to check them on a regular basis. Please do not telephone the school as this delays our messages getting through and slows down parents being informed. Please ensure we always have up-to-date contact numbers so we can email and/or App message if necessary. Thank you.
Early Closure During the School Day
If a significant deterioration in weather/extreme temperature takes place during the school day, consideration will be given in how best to ensure the safe journey of pupils’ and staff home/the extreme heat within the school. This decision would be made with advice from appropriate agencies and parents will be informed. Children will remain in their classrooms until they have been collected by a known adult.
Opening on or After Snow Fall
On days there has been snow fall and we are able to stay OPEN there may be some slight changes due to site restrictions:
- Children should come to school in winter coats and, where possible, wellies/boots AND bring a change shoes/socks to wear in class. If the children are wearing hats, gloves, coats and wellies/boots, they will be allowed to play in the snow at break and lunchtime.
- Not all of the gates may be open whilst snow is being cleared, depending on when it snows and staffing – this information will be sent out in an email and/or App message via Arbor.
- Children may need to enter through the front door until further paths are cleared – this information will be sent out in an email and/or App message via Arbor.
- Registrations may be extended to avoid congestion.
- We ask parents to ensure their children stay with them and walk on the gritted paths to help avoid accidents.
Thank you for your patience. We will always do everything possible to keep the school open throughout the winter without compromising the safety of your children.